Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday "all options are on the table" when it comes to the U.S. government’s response to Syria in the aftermath of Tuesday’s devastating chemical weapons attacks.
"All evidence points to the Assad regime in Syria" as the perpetrators behind the attacks, Pence said during an interview with Fox News. He reiterated the administration’s rebuke of their actions.
Story Continued Below
"I know the president and I and our entire administration condemn this chemical attack in Syria in the strongest possible terms," he said. "It cannot be tolerated."
Pence added that while he was hopeful the United Nations would take action in Syria, the administration is keeping its options open.
Pence also cast developments in Syria as the consequence of inaction on the part of the Obama administration. His comments echoed President Donald Trump, who earlier Wednesday blasted his predecessor for issuing a "blank threat" when he cautioned Syria that utilizing chemical weapons would be crossing a "red line."
Pence took a similar tone.
"It is a reflection of the failure of the last administration to both confront the mindless violence of the regime and also the whole of Russia and Syria to account for the promises that they’ve made to destroy chemical weapons," Pence said.
Earlier in the day, Trump also offered a sharp condemnation of the actions in Syria, saying during a joint press conference at the White House with King Abdullah of Jordan that what had unfolded had changed his thinking.
“It crossed a lot of lines for me,” Trump said. “When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal … that crosses many, many lines, beyond a red line. Many, many lines.”